Sunday, December 15, 2013

Laptop monitor to LCD monitor conversion

The idea behind this project was to add an extra high resolution monitor with good color rendition to my setup with minimal cost.

Equipment
LCD screen from Dell XPS M1530 laptop
Scrap pegboard

Needed to buy
new power converter/transformer for florescent lamp
new interface for DVI/VGA
These are specific to the LCD brand and model. Check the back of the panel. I got mine off of ebay.

Needed to build
Stand
power converter to transform 18 V from old laptop PS to 12 V for converter board

Method:
I essentially followed the same process outlined here, but made a few alterations.
1.) Instead of rather large blocks of wood used in the tutorial, I decided to use some scrap pegboard I had laying around.
2.) I did not have a 12v power supply capable of supplying the needed current to the inverter board. So, instead of buying a new one, I decided to build a voltage regulator to take the ~18 V from an old laptop power supply down to the needed 12 V. To do this, I designed and built this circuit:

There are four 7812 voltage regulators in parallel to provide the 3.2 A required of the monitor (each 7812 can only provide 1A at a maximum)

An unfortunate byproduct of this voltage drop is a loss in efficiency which results in a generous amount of waste heat. A heat sink, and some thermal paste were needed.
The monitor was mounted to a previous lcd's display stand.





And there you have it, a 1680x1050 display. 

No comments:

Post a Comment